About Solar - 10 Solar Facts
1. Solar energy is a completely free source of energy and the beauty is that it is found in abundance. Although the sun is 90 million miles from the earth, it takes less than 10 minutes for light emitted from it to travel to the planet.
2. Renewable energy sources are the key to the future of the world. The oil crises of 1970 highlighted the unstable and fragile nature of relying fossil fuels for energy. Renewable energy sources are both ecologically and economically beneficial.
3. The use of solar energy has no negative effects on the environment, unlike fossil fuels, which deplete the earth’s ozone layer.
4. California's Mojave Dessert is home to the largest solar power plant in the world, spanning an incredible 1,000 acres.
5. Solar power is silent. No sound is emmitted from having solar panels on your house.
6. Battery back ups allow you to store your solar energy. Solar power can then be used at anytime and on-demand, even on cloudy days.
7. The cost to install solar panels for your home has decreased by about 14% since 2012 and they are about half the price they were back 2008.
8. A 2011 research study calculated the cost savings for the average Californian who switched to solar to be $34,260 over a 20-year period.
9. Solar energy is the only energy source currently in existence that requires no moving parts to operate.
10. Once installed, solar panels are virtually maintenance. Their batteries require no water or other regular service and will last for years. After installation, there are no recurring costs associated with solar panels. Talk about a time savings as well!